National Vehicle Crime Intelligence Service (NaVCIS)
Protecting the UK from the harm of vehicle finance crime.
What is NaVCIS?
The National Vehicle Crime Intelligence Service (NaVCIS) is a national police unit that bridges the gap between policing and industry. They are 100% funded by industry.
A centralised, specialist capability, NaVCIS works on behalf of the UK police service and is dedicated to developing and disseminating intelligence that will help them detect offences and pursue offenders.
NaVCIS have a strong ethos of reducing and preventing crime by building partnerships with law enforcement and industry colleagues, analysing and sharing information which will help to develop a more effective response.
As well as vehicle finance crime, NaVCIS supports the police service in its response to other elements of vehicle crime including:
- tracking technology, providing a link into tracking companies to develop better ways to recover stolen vehicles
- specialist ports capability, providing recovery, enforcement and intelligence support
- training, guidance and advice in specialist vehicle crime areas such as the caravan, motorhome and mobile homes, plus freight and agricultural sectors
NaVCIS works with partners including the National Police Chiefs’ Council and the National Crime Agency, government agencies and departments such as UK Border Force and DVLA, key private sector organisations and their members such as the Finance & Leasing Association, the National Farmers Union Mutual and the Caravan Safety and Security Group.
What does NaVCIS do?
NaVCIS mission is to co-ordinate the strategic and operational response to vehicle finance crime across the UK.
They do this by:
- investigating reports of vehicle finance crime and providing specialist operational analysis, advice and support to UK police forces
- developing strategic intelligence and analysis that supports UK police forces in tackling vehicle finance crime and associated criminality
- developing and promoting crime prevention tactics and advice for the finance industry and wider communities
- supporting UK police forces in investigating plant and agricultural machinery crimes, leisure mobile homes/vehicle tracking opportunities and freight crime
There are six teams within NaVCIS:
You can find out more information about the work they do on their webiste: www.navcis.police.uk or follow them on Twitter @NaVCIS_UK